Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Vauxhall Meriva 08. Intermittent problem with hazard warning

Customer Question

Vauxhall Meriva 08. Intermittent problem with hazard warning flashes suddenly going on and causing me to immobolise car. Had new relay but problem has occurred again and need advice as want to take car on long journey soon. Jh
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help..

Can you tell me what sort of test equipment was used on the car / whats sort of / type of garage you used... ie, dealer /non ?

Plus - has the car had a knock at all / accident - even slight?

Rgds, MIKE...................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Vauxhall garage diagnostic machine but know nothing more about it. Did have slight knock on back nearside wing by "unknown assailant!" however had the problem before that and already had new relay fitted . Three weeks from relay fitting problem re-occurred and knock was much later.Ssince diagnostic action no robelms over several months but reared it's ugly head again this week Booked car into Vauxhall garage for April but appreciate any advice.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Vauxhall garage diagnostic machine but know nothing more about it. Did have slight knock on back nearside wing by "unknown assailant!" however had the problem before that and already had new relay fitted . Three weeks from relay fitting problem re-occurred and knock was much later.Ssince diagnostic action no problems over several months but reared it's ugly head again this week Booked car into Vauxhall garage for April but appreciate any advice.This e mail address is MINE and I probably did something wrong for it to be already registered to another person. Santander have confirmed that the £21 has been authorised so I am going around in circles. Do NOT stress old LADIES please Mike

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have sent another reply but e mail address not recognized as "E mail address is registered to another member" Money authorised and paid so getting stressed. Do you want to start Q & A again but problem about e mail address needs sorting! J

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Anything happening Mike?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hello again Joy -

Im not really sure why you had the email issue you had - maybe a system issue - but Im receiving your messages fine..

Please dont be alarmed - I have just been extremely busy helping you and others today - I will always get back to you as soon as I can ;)

Ok - so that I can further the issue with you - can I just ask you for the cars Full reg number please -

Once I have that - I will get back to you asap - ( today )

Kind Rgds, MIKE................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Reg.no: FX 08 UPK

As long as we can chat not worried! Car booked in for examination and service next month. J

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike, Sent reg no thru internet but still won' t accept e mail address. Just in case you are not getting response here is reg. number: FX08uPK . Thanks J
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Joy -

Thank you for your message - I did check back late last eve in case you had replied then - Sorry about the delay here only I was not due on until now today.

I am receiving your messages ok no problem - The system wont allow the putting in of an email address to protect your identity etc - so thats probably what that is... but Im receiving your messages here ok as I say - so thats all we need.

Now - with the issue you have Joy with the car - there are common issues that wil cause what you have -

One is a fault with the wiring - an plain and basic wiring fault - which can happen with any vehicle - and we always suggest that the wiring / connections etc are all checked on that circuit for any problems - to start with.

Of course I note you said you have had a new relay fitted - so by now Im assuming they have done as above and ruled that out - but if not, they should check.

After that - the actual hazard switch itself can be faulty, causing the hazards to come on. This isn't likely your fault to be honest - but it should be checked.

After that - the inertia switch that a lot of fuel injected models have - this doesn't.. its all controlled via a MFU - thats a multi function unit that is located under the bonnet in the engine bay / adjacent to the main fuse box.
How it works is this - the hazard lights system is connected into the air bag system - and fueling system. So, if a bump occurs that the airbag system ecu ( computer ) "sees" / detects, it will cut the engine ( because it cuts the fuel pump ) and it will switch the hazards on.

You know when you see a modern vehicle on the road in an accident - you see the hazards flashing. These haven't been switched on by the driver - they come on automatically -because of the bang / bump - the sensors for the air bag system detects the knock and switches them on - while also cutting the fuel.

So you can see how it all works - so too - you can see how this is happening with your car - albeit through a "fault" to be found - as opposed to an accident.

So, you could have a faulty air bag / crash system sensor.. or a fault with the MFU as mentioned above... ( and of course the other things as above to be ruled out )

So what they need to look at now - is connecting diagnostic equipment to the air bag system - this is to check the airbag system Ecu ( computer ) for any , whats called "crash data" - and then go from there. If found, howsoever caused - even through a "fault" - that then has to be dealt with and that would cure your fault.

If they find nothing there - they have to consider the MFu as above as the most likely fault and go about further investigations with that to cure this fault for you.

It will be one or the other as above - they just have to find it now going off the above....

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.>> >> ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.