Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I would like to install a N52K petrol engine (manual gearbox)

I would like to install a N52K petrol engine (manual gearbox) removed from a BMW E92 year 2007 on a BMW E60 (automatic gearbox) year 2005 bearing VIN : CK67624.
Please advise the following:
1- Will the existing Automatic Gearbox on the E60 fit on the E92 N52K engine?
2- What are the additional parts required to do this change
3- Do I have to change the Engine and Gearbox ECU's.
4- Is the wiring looms on the N52K engine will be appropriate for the E60.

Thanks to give maximum details.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, thanks for your response.

I still need an answer but can only wait for an additional 48 hours.

In case your specialist cannot make it in this time frame, then please advise me the earliest possible so that I can check elsewhere.

It is understood that full refund will be provided in case the specialist cannot reply.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Ok this is a pretty ambitous project

the engine should bolt up to the transmisson OK but you will need the N52 engine ECU and this is where it will become very complicated as the later engine used a different ECU and compleltly different calibration and coding plus the engine ecu will need to be in communication with the transmisson and the manual versions won't be set up for this
so you'd need an ECU for the N52 engine from an auto car

exhaust manifolds are different but not so far apart you couldn't modify your current exhaust to match up and engine mounts are slightly different but again this is easliy fixed

teh real show stopper will be getting the two ECU's talking and thinking that everything is all OK as the engine ECU runs the show and the entire car

so it needs to be happy that everything its expecting to see (body control module, immobiliser, ABS module etc etc) is all in place

and this simply won't be the case

if you really want to make this combination work I suggest transplanting all the engine sensors off the old E60 engine onto the N52 and then have the car re-mapped all on the original E60 ECU's
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your assistance.

As specified before, the car (E60) is fitted with automatic gearbox.

Please let me know:

- if the existing gearbox will fit the N52K engine. The existing gearbox model is GA6HP19Z,

- If I need to replace the ECU.

Thanks for an early reply.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I did already mention this

the gearbox should bolt up so it should physically fit the engine but it won't talk to the N52 engine ECU

you will either need to replace the engine ECU and then get it re-coded to work with the older car and transmisson ECU

OR

keep the standard engine and transmisson ECUs and transfer all the engine sensors from the M60 engine to the N52 engine and then re-map it

I would strongly reccommend the 2nd option
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to clarify. My E60 was originally fitted with N52B25 engine. The replacement engine is N52K version 2007. The original ECU is still on the car PLUS the original automatic gearbox and gearbox control unit are also available. Do I still need to swap the sensors or just reconfigure the ECU installed on the car.

That's my last question.

Sorry for pestering you.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

OK thanks for the extra information
there is a wiring loom change between the two engines so while you could fit the new engines ECU

not all the wiring would match up
this is plus the issues I mentioned earlier with the new ECU looking for an automatic transmisson

so to avoid it throughing up all sorts of fault codes

I'd suggest still swapping sensors where they differ and ruuning the car off the orginal ECU
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years