Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

wy do my battery light com up after i changed the alternat

wy do my battery light com up after i changed the alternator

Mike :

Hello and Welcome...

Mike :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help --

Mike :

What was the original fault that lead you to replace the alternator?

Customer:

the same

Mike :

Hello - So you had the battery light on yes -

Customer:

battery light com up

Customer:

yes

Customer:

every 10min

Mike :

Ok - at the time -did you carry out a battery charge test?

Customer:

yes its ok

Mike :

No - at the time , before you changed the alternator... did you test the output then?

Customer:

yes

Mike :

And what were the readings then?

Customer:

12.6

Mike :

12.6 when standing / tickover or revving as well?

Customer:

wait, this is when it is not lit

Customer:

when the engin working is 14.3

Mike :

Ok - Im trying to find out the readings before you changed the alternator... were proper tests carried out - to see what the voltage output was -

Customer:

I dont know in the shop told me that is the alternator and after his shift was unable to find the problem

Mike :

Ok so - you are going off what the shop has done - you haven't done the work yourself?

Customer:

yes

Mike :

What then are they saying is the problem - ?? Have they run proper tests since?

Customer:

i hope

Customer:

were do you tonk is the problem

Mike :

Basically - you could have a faulty "new" alternator - it does happen.. It simply needs to be checked off vehilce - or - on vehicle but with a tester that tests it seperate to the vehicle wiring - that rules out any issues with the vehicle that way - or in. If its a faulty alternator - then a replacement will fix this. If not - that will show up too.. Then, the wiring needs to be checked - carefully through... Often you get bad wiring that will cause this issue - but if that is ruled out, then its either a relay or computer fault - these run through the cars computer.

Mike :

For the computer to be tested, it has to be connected to a suitable diagnostic machine - you need to be sure the shop you are using has this - otherwise they cannot run the tests - you would need most likely a Dodge shop - or one that has that level of test equipment.

Mike :

So if all else checks out as ok - and its looking like a computer fault - you must have that test properly - its too expensive to change out on a guess.

Customer:

thanks i hope to discover the problem

Mike :

That is the way for sure... thats the best way - and the cheapest. if I can help you anymore at all at anytime with this, do let me know.. If we are done here for now - I do just need you to click on the OK ratings for me please.

Thank you Vladislav for doing the rating for me.

I hope all goes well for you - Im sure it will if you follow through as above.

Very best rgds to you - and you are welcome back anytime.

MIKE.