Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Rav 4 2007 model. I have a problem with the 5th gear. It

Rav 4 2007 model. I have a problem with the 5th gear. It won't hold and keeps popping back to neutral. Do I have to have the entire gear box changed?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hopefully i can help

Ok..by the sounds of it provided the selector linkages are intact on the gearbox end and they aren't loose or the bush ends haven't failed or split - you would certainly need to check that..If those seems to be in order - then its most likely a fault inside the box itself im afraid on that gear if all other gears work,stay in inc reverse - If that's the case it will be cheaper just to replace the box if prefered with a good second-hand one.this can be anything from a gearbox supplied by a breakers yard or preferably the best port of call would be for any local transmission specialist who maybe able to strip the box down and investigate and repair depending on the cost of course at times fitting either reconditioned or second hand box is usually the cheapest most people go for- aswell as to get the clutch done at the same time too,..I do hope this helps