Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

IT WAS REPORTED HERE BY MY SERVICE ENGINEER DURING MY FIRST

IT WAS REPORTED HERE BY MY SERVICE ENGINEER DURING MY FIRST 10000 SERVICE (JANUARY 2014) THAT THEY HAD DETECTED AN OIL LEAK ON THE ENGINE AND TO HAVE THIS RECTIFIED BY MY LOCAL HYUNDAI DEALER UNDER THE WARRANTY CONDITIONS. SO I PHONED MY LOCAL DEALER (HATFIELD, MANCHESTER ROAD BURY) WHO BOOKED MY VEHICLE (i40 DIESEL STYLE TOURER, REG BJ12 FXR ) IN FOR A DIAGNOSIS ON 18TH MARCH 2014 AT 1030 HOURS. UP TO THIS POINT I HAD EXPERIENCED NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER BUT IT WAS ESSENTIAL,BEING A DISABLED DRIVER AND 77 YEARS OF AGE TO MAINTAIN MY VEHICLE IN TIP TOP CONDITION. I DELIVERED MY VEHICLE ON TIME TO HATFIELDS AND VERBALLY, TOGETHER WITH A RECEIPT FROM MY SERVICING AGENT WHICH ADVISED ME OF THE LEAK AND SUGGESTED THAT I TAKE THIS TO MY LOCAL DEALER AND HAVE IT FIXED. I PERSONALLY WAITED FOR JUST OVER AN HOUR BEFORE IT WAS REPORTED TO ME THAT THEY HAD FOUND THE LEAK AND ADVISED ME THAT SOME PARTS WERE REQUIRED AND NEEDED TO BE ORDERED. THEY WOULD THEN PHONE ME AND FIT THESE AS SOON AS THEY WERE RECEIVED. THEY THEN HANDED THE CAR BACK TO ME WITH NO OTHER COMMENTS THAN PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED. THE CAR SEEMED TO RUN SMOOTHLY DURING THE SHORT TRIP TO THE MAIN BUSY ROAD (A56 MANCHESTER ROAD) WHERE I WOULD HAVE TO CROSS THIS ROAD IN ORDER FOR ME TO RETURN TO MY HOME.SEEING A SUITABLE SPACE I ACCELERATED TO MERGE INTO THE CONSTANT TRAFFIC, A SPACE OF ABOUT 100 YARDS IN FRONT OF A LORRY WHICH WOULD NORMALLY HAVE BEEN MORE THAN ADEQUATE GIVEN THE ACCELERATION SPEED OF MY CAR. THIS WASN`T TO BE THOUGH BECAUSE MY CAR WOULD NOT ACCELERATE, CAUSING AN ACCIDENT.PLEASE ADVISE WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome....

Mike :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Welcome to justanswer.. Im happy to help you.

Mike :

Im sorry to read of your troubles.. I hope you were not hurt at all in the accident. Can I just ask, what was the light identified on the dash?

Mike :

I am not receiving any reply from you here in Live Chat - I will give it a couple of mins or so, then I will need to switch us to the QA system and we can carry on there ---

Mike :

Ok - Im switching us to the QA system now - I will get back to you there ;)

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Alan..

This is MIKE... If you scroll the screen up you can see that I first replied to you in Live Chat but I wasn't getting any response so I have switched us to the QA system now - it seems you may have gone off line.. thats ok.

I was just asking - to start us off... can you tell me what the light was identified as that was on, on the dash...?

Please just type your reply and send it to me - then when I receive it, I will get back to you..

Kind Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WHEN I RETURNED THE CAR TO THE DEALER I WAS INFORMED BY ONE OF THEIR MECHANICS THAT THE LIGHT WAS ILLUMINATED BY THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM WHICH WOULD CAUSE THIS KIND OF PROBLEM. THE SENIOR MANAGEMENT COULD NOT OR WOULD NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THIS AND CONTINUED TO DENY RESPONSIBILITY.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Alan..

Thank you for your reply and info.

I did suspect that this would be the engine management fault / systems light - but I did just need to be sure of course..

Now - if that light was on / came on on your way home before the loss of power incident and accident - then this would most likely be related to something that they did when they were repairing the car for you ... To explain, that light comes on when the Ecu ( command computer ) detects a fault anywhere in the engine management / fueling systems etc... anything like that - and the light is then switched on to inform you of a fault. At the same time, the Ecu ( command computer ) puts the vehicle / engine systems into what is called "Limp home mode"... or "safe mode"... This means the vehicle will not have the power that it had / has normally... as its in Limp / Safe mode.
It does that to protect the systems while the fault exists - until its sorted.

It sounds to me that this is what happened to you - you have had the Eml ( fault light ) come on, because of some fault ( as above and yet to be determined )...and the car was then in low power mode - unbeknown to you - and hence, the incident occurred.

If that is the case as above- you have every right to insist that this is all related to the work done - It wasn't like that ( and the light wasn't on ) when you took in to them ..!

So that as above is what you need to put to them Alan - to be honest ... they know all this - but if you are armed with the knowledge too - they may well now back down.

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

I will be off for a break for a couple of hours now Alan... but if you do need to come back to me - just reply - and I will get back to you asap / later.

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

..>> >> Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you have definitely hit the nail on the head mike. with your expert diagnosis i can now argue my points with their director which should cause him to back down from his inflexible stance

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Alan -

Thank you for your reply / message..

Im very pleased to have helped you Alan ( sorry I have only just come on today )

Im sure that with the above knowledge you will be able to successfully argue your case.... if not - then you may want to get the local TSO involved to help you ( thats the Trading Standards Office...) You can use the info above with them if needed.

Again - if I can help you anymore at all - you are welcome to come back to me..

Thank you again - and all the best - MIKE

( Please take a moment to fill in the feedback on the feedback tab if you haven't already - Thank you kindly.. )