Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2003 V70 D5 Engine failed to start after running perfectly.

2003 V70 D5 Engine failed to start after running perfectly. Recovery "guy" thought it could be fuel pump.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

do you have any flashing glow plug light or a check engine light coming on when trying to start?

does it turn over / crank OK?

and when was it last serviced?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt.

Just the normal light display, Engine turns fine. serviced 5 month's ago. no problems previously with fuel supply, Net forums suggest faulty pump relay. What do you think?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Ok that is a possibility
if you open the fuel cap and then turn on the ignition you should hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds

if you don't then yes check over the fuel pump relay to see if its clicking in

If thats OK I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.
You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor
If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue
Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Matt.

I'll check through your points. At least you have given me a clue as to where to start. That's more than the AA did or my own mechanic.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No problem

just get back to me on this post