Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

I HAVE A CITROEN PICASSO2.0 EXCLUSIVE 02 PLATE,THE PROBLEM

Customer Question

I HAVE A CITROEN PICASSO2.0 EXCLUSIVE 02 PLATE,THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE EXPANTION TANK BLOWING COOLANT OUT.THIS WAS HAPPENING 4 MONTHS AGOFIRST GARAGE TOLD ME CRACK IN THE BLOCK AND REPLACED WITH ANOTHER ENGINE. AFTER A MONTH EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM OCCURED. TOOK THE CAR TO A DIFFERENT GARAGE AND THEY HAD IT FOR 4WEEKS SAID IT WAS Strange PROBLEM BUT TOLD ME IT WAS SORTED,AFTER LEAVING THE SECOND GARAGE,WITHIN 10MINS IT BLEW AGAIN,BY NOW I WAS DEBATING TO BuY A BOX OF MATCHES BUT NO I love this car and had it for the last7-8years and took it to a third garage where they also said it was a strange problem. They have all tested compression,combustion,new themostats expansion bottle caps checked water pump and vanes, fan cutting in at right temp.no blockage in rad.no water in oil, so far I'v spent over a thousand pounds the car has been in the garage 10weeks in the last 4 months also the temp. gauge is normal and no missing starts first time and really great on fuel,you are my last port of call can you help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Not sure if this has been checked but i would first have the radiator checked for blockage ,Now what is important here is a chemical clean/ flush will not work the radiator has to be opened and pipe cleaned.
The restrictions in the radiator will cause this problem .this is one issue that is always overlooked.if radiator is good and clean and still having issues ,then run the car without a thermostat and see what happens .the most important part of the repair is this engine has to be bleed correctly if all air is not bleeded completely then you will also have this problem .

Have this checked then please get back to me for further assistance
if needed.

Kindest regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg, the mech. at the garage has put a new rad.on the car but water still blowing out of expansion tank and has bled all air out of engine following all your instructions.the expansion tank dos'nt hold water above the min mark on the bottle? temp. gauge stays normal car runs fine but afraid if I take it for a long run could I ruin the engine by it boiling dry? could the heater matrix be a problem?

Thanks Neal

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Neal .

Not sure if the shop you use has the coolant bleeding and filling funnel, but here is a video on how to do this at home .
There are three bleed nipples one on the radiator ,one on the thermostat housing and one on the heater hose at the back of the engine
What this video at 5.35 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vssQVTSWLGo

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi GREG, I know its been a while but the problem is still there the coolant level has to remain just below the min mark on the coolant bottle or it just spits it out and the warning light comes on constant telling me to top up coolant level. The engine temp.is always normal? no over heating,do I just have to live with it and keep checking my coolant level?

Regards Neal

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Neal.

Try a new bottle pressure cap .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is a new cap in fact a second one now? grasping at straws could it be that radiators hold slightly different amounts of water? or the water channels on the replaced engine hold different amounts of water?

Regards Neal

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Neal .

Do a coolant system pressure test, let see how long the pressure holds.

Greg.