Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds

I have a 1997 toyota Camry Gracia 2.5 V6 automatic 150,000

Customer Question

I have a 1997 toyota Camry Gracia 2.5 V6 automatic 150,000 miles. The automatic gearbox has just started ot give problems. Sometimes it functions perfectly, sometimes it won't change gear either using the shift lever or automatically, getting stuck in 2nd or Low for a while and then later after a few minutes shifting and reverting to normal for a while. Sometimes it will suddenly shift from drive to 2. When it is misbehaving the gear indicator light on the dashboard read strangely....P , R , and left and right indicator arrows light up partially and D light goes dim even though the shift lever is in the Drive position. When these lights are on dimly and the gerbox is not working properly , if I slightly depress the button on the gear shifter ( as if to put into reverse) the semi-illuminated P, R and indicator arrows change in brightness slightly. Any ideas? Thanks. XXXXX [email protected]
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello John,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my Name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

You should also check all the earth connection points as it is more likely to be in one of them that is causing the fault.