Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

when my car has traveled around 20 miles on some occasions

Customer Question

when my car has traveled around 20 miles on some occasions there is steam coming from my car it is losing a little water and the fan comes on when it is hot I have taken it twice to a garage but still losing water and sometimes there is steam why is this
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

Mark :

When you have a problem such as this then the best way to find the leak is to put a UV dye into the coolant and then check for signs of leak with a UV light.

Mark :

Mark :

Where there is a leak from steam it is usually at the radiator header tanks where it has been crimped.

JACUSTOMER-wk1wsrky- :

there is a leak I know this because I am losing water have to replace water after around 20-25 miles

Mark :

And the best way to find it is to use a UV dye.

Mark :

The dye will leave a trace wherever the leak is.

JACUSTOMER-wk1wsrky- :

what is a uv dye remember I am a woman not familiar with car mechanics

Mark :

Did you not click on the above link?

Mark :

Plus there isn't a comment anywhere saying you are a woman with no mechanical experience.

Mark :

That being the case you are best to ask a local garage to test it for you using a dye.

Mark :

Why the bad service rating?

JACUSTOMER-wk1wsrky- :

because I was trying to be comical when I said about being a woman did not expect you to be touchy also thought you could lead me in the right direction of the fault will now ask another mechanic at my local garage so you have not helped me did not expect to be advised to pay 200 pound plus for a kit to test the problem just wanted to ask a question and hoped you would know the answer

Mark :

I can't help it if the garage you used doesn't have the correct kit to find your fault

Mark :

I wasn't being touchy.

Mark :

We often get customers with no experience of mechanics.

Mark :

I didn't expect you to pay £200 for the kit.

Mark :

I was merely pointing out this is what would be the best way to finding your fault. I assume it has already been pressure tested by the garage and they couldn't find it using that method.

JACUSTOMER-wk1wsrky- :

well that is what it said on the link if I needed to purchase the kit otherwise what was the purpose of the link?

Mark :

Where does it say you need to purchase it.

Mark :

I said the best way is to use a uv dye and then showed you the kit I meant incase you had never heard or seen one before.

JACUSTOMER-wk1wsrky- :

well what was the purpose of the link then you could have just told me what to say to the garage

Mark :

Obviously the garage you use doesn't have one or they would have used it.

Mark :

You need to use another garage that does have this kit.

JACUSTOMER-wk1wsrky- :

so what you are saying then is that when I book it in at another garage to inquire if they have this kit beforehand?

Mark :

Yes

JACUSTOMER-wk1wsrky- :

can you recommend any? and what is the cost?

Mark :

Remember I can't see your car. It has already been tested twice and no fault found. All I can do is advise the best way for the fault to be found.

Mark :

Sorry, I don't know where you live.

JACUSTOMER-wk1wsrky- :

grays essex

Mark :

Most franchise garages have this kit as it is also used to check for aircon and oil leaks using different dyes.

Mark :

I'm up north.

Mark :

You will just have to phone around a few to see if they keep this tool.

JACUSTOMER-wk1wsrky- :

ok thanks

Mark :

No problem

Mark :

Please change your rating.

Mark :

Mark :

Mark.

Mark :

Thanks for that!