sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

I have a Volvo XC 60 car which runs on diesel. Yesterday I

I have a Volvo XC 60 car which runs on diesel. Yesterday I went to fill the tank and accidently started to fill it with petrol. I realised this soon and only put in 6 litres of petrol. I then filled the rest of the tank with diesel. The tank holds 65 litres so the amount of petrol was just under 10%. I drove home from the garage ( about 10 miles) but now need to know whether I should continue to drive or drain the tank.
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following assist you.

Without doubt you need to drain the tank, clean the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter. The car may run OK with the 10% of petrol in it or be slightly noisier but it's the long term damage that occurs when petrol is in the fuel. Diesel is an oil it lubricates the fuel pump and injectors, petrol is a solvent it washes the diesel away causing a lack of lubrication, the effect of this may not be immediately noticeable but in few thousand miles the damage that can be caused will start to show.

I hope this helps but if you have more questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.