Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2002 bmw E46 1.8 petrol estate with an N42 valvetronic

Customer Question

I have a 2002 bmw E46 1.8 petrol estate with an N42 valvetronic engine , we have just changed the head gasket put it all together using the aligning tools , went to start it and all we had was it turning over , we have plenty off fuel but no spark ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

1st check that there's power to the coil packs using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor on the back of the engine

do the same for the cam position sensor on the end of the cam cover

you can confirm if the injectors are working as you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.