Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi Please can you help

Hi Please can you help with our problem on a Rover 75 diesel. Under bonnet fuel pump intermittently cuts out. The pump and filter are new and working well, runs when connected directly to the battery. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated Thank you Allan XXXXXX

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you ..

This issue you have is a common issue but not everyone ( garages I mean ) are aware of it...

Basically - if its not a faulty pump or other and it rarely is... then the problem lies in the wiring loom / connector that goes to the pump..

If you look down into the engine - above the pump ( or just forward ) - you will see the thick wiring loom - and there is a round connector there --- thats where the issues always arise.

Its best if after disconnecting and cleaning ,it keeps doing it - to cut the connector out altogether - and solder the wires together - doing away with the connector that causes the problems with the pins all the time..

If you do that as above - be sure to cut and solder each wire one at a time so as not to get mixed up / lose track...

Once you either successfully clean the pins / repair the connector or do as above - that will stop this fault from happening all the time for you ..

Let me know how you get on - and Im always happy to help you further as / if needed.. I will be back on later today -

Very best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>>> >> > Meantime...

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now at this point , Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply, I have removed battery box but cannot find a connector anywhere! can you kindly send more information please.

Allan XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your reply, but I cannot find the connection you spoke about. Please could you send some more information as I have done a thorough for this. I await your reply.

thank you

Allan XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I have emailed Mike twice since the original answer and have got no reply back.
cannot find the plug on the wiring harness he spoke of. I have requested more information on this matter and as yet have heard no more.
Paul
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Paul.. ( Or Alan.. I have two names here... ? )

This is MIKE - Im sorry, I did not see your replies as I was off for a day... then you re listed your question which took my trace of the question altogether - I have just stumbled across it quite by accident... Im sorry, when you do a relist , thats just the way the system works...

Ok - so - where exactly are you up to now Paul - any progress ?

I will keep a manual hold on this so I dont lose you again..

Rgds, MIKE.......................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Mike,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I am so sorry for all the confusion, I am not very computer savvy so I asked my son Paul to do the Initial listing for me! My name is Allan and it is my car that has the problem. Story so far......

I cannot find the connection in the wiring harness that you spoke about in your first email. I have removed the battery box but still no sign of any connector in that area .Please can you send more information .

Thanking you

yours

Allan

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Allan -

Thank you for your reply -- No problem at all - no explanations needed ;)

As for this loom connector - it should be visible above the area of the pump - the diesel pump Allan... But -- If it isn't - then its either already been done away with - or.. yours has the later type - where the cables ran straight to the pump ( 2003 is right on a change so it could be that )

In which case - given the issue you have... you need to check the wiring going to the pump - where it connects to the pump for any issues - but also - do check the rest of the loom very very carefully - twisting it over along the length - looking for any "chaf" damage - where its common to rub through on the engine etc..and cause these problems.. So check all that Allan...

Now if you don't find any problems there - then check the actual Ecu - the main computer ... These are known for getting water logged.. Its located on the left side - under the screen in the plenum chamber - you have to remove all the panelling to get at the Ecu - and often you will see water swimming in there.. check that Allan in case thats the issue. If it is - often the Ecu can be saved by cleaning and drying out - but check it at least - and clear the drains while in there.

Let me know how you go Allan but one way or the other, the above should help you sort this.

Best Rgds - MIKE.