Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Jaguar X type - 2007 Model, 26,000 miles. My husband says

Jaguar X type - 2007 Model, 26,000 miles.
My husband says my clutch is slipping/racing and the car doesnt 'feel right', almost struggling. It is booked in for a new clutch next Tuesday. I am very worried that it wont last that long can you give me some idea as to how much longer I can drive it? Thank you.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Firstly it would be in your best intrest to actually verify the clutch is on the way out and the fault isnt in regards XXXXX XXXXX power fault on the engine itself..Just to be sure before you go ahead with the clutch replacement..but if the engine just races but you get no forward motion to match ie:- the speed of the car doesnt match the engine rpm or it struggles to take hills even though the engine has power..then its most likely going to be clutch issue more of friction plate wear than anything else..As far as usage or how long you can use the car as it stands..hard to say really as the clutch could just give out completely and thus this may have knock on effect with the flywheel or damage it even is the car is continually used due to alot of heat build up etc..in all honesty especially in this condition as you describe it would be best to not use the car until as such time it can be inspected or as above clutch assembly changed..that would be the best advice at this stage im afriad..I do hope this helps