Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

have a 308 vti 120bhp Peugeot coming home the engine autodiagnostics

have a 308 vti 120bhp Peugeot coming home the engine autodiagnostics system came on and the antipollution warning light came on.I also had a loss of power in revs whats the cause /
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you -

As you have this fault light come on , this is indicating that the ECU - management computer, has detected and logged a fault or faults, somewhere in the engine management systems / anti pollution / fuelling systems - to a clogging / restriction in the exhaust - which is actually quite a common fault on these.

Too, this could be just a sensor fault or wiring issues or even a fault with the main ecu itself... ( the latter is quite rare ) but you see the problem... it's impossible to guess where the fault(s) may be.

What you will need to do now is have the cars systems connected to a suitable diagnostic machine - preferably dealer level equipment... to read / scan the cars ecu - to retrieve the now stored / logged fault code(s). This is done via the use of the cars' OBD 16 pin diagnostic socket...

Once these fault codes are retrieved -which wil be there as the light is on - then you / the tech, will be directed to the area of fault and that can then be dealt with.

To be honest , its usually a sensor fault or a poor connection somewhere... but as I said earlier - it's impossible to guess.

What you can do on a DIY basis - is go around all the wiring connectors around the engine - giving them a tug and a wiggle... just in case you have a poor connection somewhere on one of the sensors / drivers etc... If you do happen to hit on one thats causing the light to come on - the light will usually go off then at the next "start" as the ecu will see the fault is cleared.

So try that -its worth a try... but failing that - you will need to have it connected up to equipment as I've mentioned...

Many smaller garages have suitable equipment for these these days so if you cannot locate the fault yourself as above - then have a ring around to arrange to have that done and then it will get sorted.

The reason the engine holds back on power by the way - will be because of one of two reasons.... either its because of the actual fault in itself - or, the ecu has put the systems into whats called LHM - Limp Home Mode... this is a basic running mode -(default settings) to allow you to get home (or a garage ) rather than break down -- and this protects the systems - so that you cannot rev it above a certain range whilst the fault exists...

Very best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>>> >> > Meantime...

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now at this point , Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.