Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Hi, can you please advise on a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2005, remote

Hi, can you please advise on a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2005, remote central locking problem. The problem is intermittent! For a couple of days the remote will operate OK. Then it won't do anything! Have fitted a new battery to the Plip key. Key then works OK. For a day or so! Locks operate when opened manually with the key blade. Have had the key checked to see if it is transmitting. That is OK. Could it be the receiver at fault or something more simple than that, and recognised as a common fault? Please advise.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been given a little bit of advice. It is, that a poor earth connection on the door courtesy light switches may cause a possible central locking problem when using the remote. After fiddling with the switches, I re-tried locking the car with the remote, it worked, as did the unlocking! So could this be the solution? I have not, removed the door switches, or checked the earthing of them. Regards. Bill Karran

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you with this issue -

Re the door light switches Bill - yes that can be an issue - but its not a common / regular cause of this fault -- but - its worth checking first before anything else... Its easy enough to just do that - clean up the contacts , refit and see how it goes. If you find thats cured it - thats great..

If not - then its most likely a fault with the antenna unit on the car - if its not releasing the locks and immobiliser - ( you can see that by checking the LEd ).. This is behind the steering wheel under the cowl... but - I wouldn't advise to go about replacing that on your own - New ones need programming to the car - and really, the proper advise is that when that is suspect, the system should be diagnosed properly using plug in diagnostic equipment - obviously you will need garage help with that . SO again yes - check the switches as you mentioned above first as you can do that on a DIY basis - then go from there as above as / if still needed. One way or the other , so long as the remote is proven ok, you will cure it that way.

Let me know if you need anything else -

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, thanks for your comments. However, the problem seems to be mainly on the central locking using the remote key. When it doesn't respond at all, you would swear the key wasn't transmitting. But it is, tested it on a garage tester. Never had a problem with the immobiliser. Just the opening/closing functions on the remote key. No indicator light flashing when the fault occurs. I'll certainly remove all door switches, clean the contacts, and re-check the operation. Regards. Bill

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again..

Thank you for your reply - and further info.
Basically Bill - if you are positive your remote / fob is working - transmitting - then the fault has to be one or the other of the issues as I mentioned above Bill - can't be anything else.

Its actually a very simple system on this car / model - so yes - check those items as mentioned ( the switches - ) its always worth doing that first - but then if not - after that , you will find the issue to be as Ive mentioned Bill.. that will get it sorted for you.. ;)

... Im very glad to have helped you Bill - let me know if you ever need anything more though..

--- per the way justanswer works Bill - I do just need you to now click on the"OK ratings" at this point for me please as thats how Im credited for my time etc in helping you - so please do that for me - and I Thank you kindly..

- Again - you can get back to me anytime should you need - clicking the "OK ratings" does not close you out at all -

Very best Rgds Bill -- MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert