Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

my nephew has put a bit of windscreen wash in his brake fluid,

Customer Question

my nephew has put a bit of windscreen wash in his brake fluid, what will it do to his brakes?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Brake fluid is essentially hygroscopic,so it absorbs water and moisture pretty much very easily thats way it should be changed at certain intervals.. - if the car hasnt been used then it should be simple case of getting a suction pump/handtool to drag the contaminated brake fluid/washer fluid out - then once drained out then add more brake fluid in place to the proper level - but the best advice under any circumstances with cross contamination in regards to brake fluid is to have the reservoir drained out and cleared..then new brake fluid added and the system basically re bled through..shouldn't take much for any good competent garage to carry out..if need be maybe try phoning around for good reputable mobile mechanic and see if they can come to the car instead and do as suggested above..I do hope this helps