Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi. I have a 2008 toyota auris automatic. When Im driving

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2008 toyota auris automatic. When I'm driving the revs sometimes get really high and it sounds like it's stuck in gear and I press the brake and then the gas again it seems to right itself again. Any ideas what could be the problem? Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
..........

Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you -

Before we progress - can you please tell me what you have done / had checked so far?

Plus - do you get any fault lights come on at all when this happens?

Rgds, MIKE.....................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi mike. No warning lights. Garage has looked at clutch but said all is well so only other option is to open up and look at the gearbox

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Clare -

Thank you for your reply..

Im afraid that such "issues" - problems are not unknown with this model - but it can have different causes..

I dont know if you are using a Toyota garage / dealer so far - but if not - I really would, in this case, suggest you have them to look at this for you . The reasons being more than one.. one, this fault can be a fault with the controlling software in the TCM - thats the Transmission control module - it being an Auto and at that age - fully computer controlled.. If it is a software issue, you need a Toyota dealer to check - and do an "update" -which is done through their servers.... So, its well worth having that issue checked first.. Second - If that is not the cause of your issue, then its worth having their dedicated ( to Toyota systems ) diagnostic equipment connected to the systems, to run a full and proper in depth diagnostic on the systems to see if that finds the fault ( general / aftermarket garage equipment often will not cope / do this as above ).. If a fault is found that way, it can then be attended too. Third - if it turns out to be a a case of they suggest it has to have the transmission opened up / checked or worse, replaced - either way, this is often a very expensive task... You can then ask them to contact Toyota Hq on your behalf to ask them, given the car is only an 08, and these are known faults - for a good will payment toward the cost of repair. Its always worth asking - and you stand more of a chance if your car has a good service history.

If the above does not apply to you - then the next best advise to locate and take the car to an Auto Specialist - as they have the equipment - the tools and knowledge to carry out checks - and often can repair an auto transmission, rather than replace it at considerable less cost .. ( use yell.com or yellow pages / or the net to find an Auto Transmission specialist near you )

So thats the best advice for you on this one Clare - I have gone through it in order of preference / best way forward for you with a view to most likely / cost effective order for you.
Im sorry I cannot say that it will be this / that - there really are are just too many things it could be as to "causes" - - so thats the best advice on this one to work forward to get this sorted for you.

Let me know if you need anything else -

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.