Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

my focus does not try to fire when starting up

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you on this..

I need to ask a few things first -

What engine do you have - ? Size and petrol / diesel? ( I know you say you have "checked the plugs" -- but that could be "glow "plugs... ie, a diesel )

What mileage has the car done?

How exactly did the car break down - ? ie- were you driving it..? If so, how did it break down -- did it splutter / chug to a halt... and all the dash lights come on? Or - was it as if all had just been switched off? Dash lights come on / not?

Please also outline exactly the results of your checks... eg - if its a petrol engine... do you have a spark at the plugs ? Are they getting wet with petrol etc ? Do you have any signs of contamination in the engine oil / and or water / cooling system?
Did the engine overheat when you broke down?

Please answer all the questions as above - and anything else you can tell me - The more you can tell me , the better I can help you ..

When I receive your reply - I will get back to you asap thereafter - later.

Kind Rgds, MIKE...........................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a 1.8 petrol was driving it at the time it just cut out yes we have spark at the plugs not getting wet with petrol no signs of contamination did not overheat no smoke from exhaust when trying to start it seems to have no compression it makes a burring sound as if the start motor is not working but checked it and is working. all electrics ok

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Melanie -

First my sincere apologies that I missed your reply yesterday and could only just get back to you now..

Given that you may have made some progress between your asking your question and now - and coupled with your comment - ie - the engine seems to have no compression, I am suspecting a timing belt problem. I know you say you have checked it - but it may be there - all in one piece - ie- not broken - but it could have stripped teeth - which has the same effect...

So you need to check to see if its turning the belt - so that the bottom and top halves of the engine are turning as they should - If you see the belt is not turning, you have stripped teeth likely as not -

IF its not that as above - check the fuel supply ( as you say the plugs don't get wet but have spark)
Check at the valve on the fuel rail to see if you have fuel pressure there - be careful as it spurts everywhere is its there - have the ign on when testing....if no fuel , check the IFS - fuel cut off switch ... Let me know how you go on --

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

..>> >> > .Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.