Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

hi I have a 03 ldv convoy 400 with 2.4 engine. battery went

Customer Question

hi I have a 03 ldv convoy 400 with 2.4 engine.
battery went flat so put a new battery in and now wont start just a clicking .
had starter checked and is fine,
is the immobilizer stopping it from starting and how do I overcome this
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you -

With this - if its clicking, it wont be the immobiliser - plus, you would have indication of that with the Led if it was -

You say you have had the starter checked - that is the most likely suspect bar bad connections - and bad earths - either the battery or the main earth circuit.

Given you have just changed the battery - check those connections as above - and also - be aware that even "new" batteries can be flat - so check that as well -

Let me know how you are getting on - Let me know if you need anything else -

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have checked all connections and battery is fully charged the clicking is from the solenoid and all the relays under the dash click simultaneously as dose red led on the dash

I am in the motor trade so know most of the basics but not immobilizers and ecu equipment

if I link out the starter relay it will turn over but not start

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Mark -

First my apologies that I could not get straight back to you until now -

As there has been a delay, please bring me up to speed as to exactly what you have done / tried since asking your question...

Too - I note you are in the motor trade - have you checked the codes at all - for the immobiliser as well? If so - what do you have?

Rgds, MIKE..................................
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Do you still need help with this Mark?

I notice you viewed my Info request but did not reply at all.

Please just let me know so that we can carry on, or the question can be closed whichever is appropriate -

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Working away not back till weekend sorry will let you know when I get home

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Mark -

Thank you for your reply - thats fine.

In that case - I'll carry on so as to save you time ---

You asked in your initial question if this was an immobiliser issue... It shouldn't be no - not if you can hear the starter motor clicking - because the immobiliser if active, would kill the starter circuit - so, its looking more like you have either a bad connection to the starter motor.. a bad connection on the battery ( and check the connections - where the cables actually go into the battery connector..... ).. a bad earth - check the earth main circuit - battery to body -and body to eng/ trans... or - a faulty starter motor itself. Some of these have been known for the starter motor to actually come loose and cause this -so check that also - the mounting bolts...( and the earth there )

If you don't have it sorted yet as above- then you will need to use a meter to check the power circuits - check for full battery voltage at the large terminal on the starter - and battery power ( at least 12v ) on the trigger wire when in the start position to ID if you have a power circuit fault... or, faulty / jammed starter.

Working though as above - per your question , should see this sorted for you Mark..

Let me know if you need anything else at all -

..>>> >> > .Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

Rgds, MIKE.