Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hello, I have an Audi A4 1.8 Quattro (B5, yr. 1996). Recently

Customer Question

I have an Audi A4 1.8 Quattro (B5, yr. 1996).

Recently I have replaced the fuel pump as vehicle broke down. More recently car became unreliable in starting. Sometimes it turned but was slow to start. Other times there was not a sound on turning key in ignition. A short time later the car might /would start fine.

Battery is not suspect as problem occurred even when jump started. Car will start fine on short push ... if needed. Local garage took out starter motor and had it checked but to no effect. As power is not getting to starter they think it could be the ignition switch and/or ignition lock.

Given age and value of this car my garage seems reluctant to have much money spent on repair. I am now wondering if problem is accurately diagnosed and whether it is worth having a fix on the ignition switch +/- lock if I could get correct replacement. Obviously I do not want to spend time and money on bad diagnosis.

Ps immobiliser light goes off ok and as I say when car does not start there is not a stir from it.

What do you think? Any pointers for the uninitiated?

Francis
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

if the immobiliser light is going out and the dash is lighting up as it should then I'd agree that the ignition switch may well be faulty

But before replacing it I'd carefully check the condition of the steering column harness where it passes over the column and joins the main loom

disconnect the loom at its plug and check the connections for damaged or overheated pins and wire damage

if this is all OK then yes I'd replace the switch