Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Bentley Turbo R (1997) Engine check light comes on every time,

Bentley Turbo R (1997) Engine check light comes on every time, but all usual investications (Oil, Coolant etc) are OK
Jeremy
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you -

As you have an EML on ..( Engine Management ( check ) Light ) . this is indicating that the ECU - management computer, has detected and logged a fault or faults, somewhere in the engine management systems...

This could be a sensor fault or wiring issues or even a fault with the main ecu itself... ( the latter is quite rare ) but you see the problem... it's impossible to guess where the fault(s) may be.

What you will need to do now is have the cars systems connected to a suitable diagnostic machine - preferably dealer level equipment... to read / scan the cars ecu - to retrieve the now stored / logged fault code(s)...

Once these are retrieved - then you / the user - will be directed to the area of fault and that can then be dealt with.

To be honest , its usually a sensor fault or a poor connection somewhere... but as I said earlier - it's impossible to guess.

What you can do on a DIY basis - is go around all the wiring connectors around the engine - giving them a tug and a wiggle... just in case you have a poor connection somewhere on one of the sensors / drivers etc... If you do happen to hit on one thats causing the light to come on - the light will usually go off then at the next "start" as the ecu will see the fault is cleared.

So try that -its worth a try.. I note you say you have checked the levels etc - but check all as above- the pipes / wiring - connections etc.... but failing that - you will need to have it connected up to equipment as I've mentioned...

Many smaller garages have suitable equipment for these these days so if you cannot locate the fault yourself as above - then have a ring around to arrange to have that done and then it will get sorted.

Now always - but with some type of faults - it depends on the actual cause of the light... the the engine holds back on power when driven.

If yours is doing that - then just to explain , this will be because of one of two reasons.... either its because of the actual fault in itself - or, the ecu has put the systems into whats called LHM - Limp Home Mode... this is a basic running mode -(default settings) to allow you to get home (or a garage ) rather than break down -- and this protects the systems - so that you cannot rev it above a certain range whilst the fault exists... Of course, if yours is not low on power output, that doesn't apply - and in fact, that generally indicates the fault will not be found to be serious ;)

Let me know if you need anything else -

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.