Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

polo gti 16 valve oil light apearin when doing high speed

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hopefully i can help..

There is chance your oil pump could be on its way out or becoming weak and not able to keep up and force the oil through the engine at higher rpm's..I would suggest if you havent done so already is to get a proper oil pressure test done on that engine using the proper guage in place of the pressure switch "which could be something else to maybe change while you at it" and test the pressure with the engine at high revs to duplicate the problem..and see if that highlights the fault - its about the next best step id say to confirm so to speak before you strip out the oil pump- it might worth too if possible to check the pick up in the sump/strainer to ensure that isnt partially blocked with any sludge..that would mean dropping the sump to see that..but what you done so far with the oil/filter change - aswell as the flush which i wouldnt often advise on older engine considering that older engines/bearings internally over time gather lubrication - any flush might flush that away..sometimes running some cheap oil through a few times and draining off might help before you add the better quailty oil/filter if it is a suspect blockage..but as above a proper pressure test would have to be the way forward..I do hope this helps