Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Jaguar x Type Estate 2008 2.2 Diesel Auto Park Assist ceased

Jaguar x Type Estate 2008 2.2 Diesel Auto

Park Assist ceased to function properly, Cockpit indicator flashes and bleeps with staedy but very faint tone and flashes.

Auto Elec has checked all Sensors, wiring, fuses ans associated switches on gearbox all working correctly. Module may be at fault? The module was removed and the pcb had evidence of fungal or mould growth at end away from power transistors. cleaned with very soft brush and switch cleaning fluid but this action failed to produce any difference. Possible this growth may have caused a high resistance joint which has affected one of the chips.
Any other ideas before i fork out £194 for the module plus setting up?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.

Ross :

Hi my name isXXXXX a car technician and I’ll help with your question.

Customer:

Hi Ross

Customer:

not sure if i am being very thick but I am unable to locate your reply therefore cannot comment on its validity or rate the reply.

Ross :

Sorry for the delay, before I answer, could you tell me if you had the system checked prior to inspecting the control module using a diagnostic system which pointed you to this module?

Customer:

Hi Ross

Customer:

Hi Ross answer to that is no - it was a reputable Auto Elec but not sure if he had the diagnostic system

Customer:

hi Ross

Ross :

Ok, I think in this case it's not too important as I'm certain you have found the route cause, the control modules seem to suffer from moisture ingress which effects the circuit boards on these, as there are clear signs of this its safe to say it's highly likely this is the problem. A new module is the obvious solution, however if you are comfortable working with electronics, or know someone one who is I would start by re-soldering any effected joints, or all joints if nessasry. I have known the moisture to effect the components in the board as well as the joints so this would need to be tested by an electronics specialist, in which case a new module may work out cheaper and easier in the long run but quite often giving the board a very good clean with solvent pcb cleaner and re-soldering will cure the problem.

Customer:

hi Ross i did call HA FOX in Southampton and spoke to a technician there who suggested that the modules sometimesare subject to water ingress if the boot gets too much water - i did have a small leak but that was rectified -can only think that if water was present at some stage prior to my intervention the dampness and lack of air circulation in that compartment could have led to the mould/fungal. It was the HA Fox guy who suggested the cleaning of the module.

Ross :

Yes, the circuit board is very sensitive to moisture, it's more a case of a design fault of the casing rather than the conditions although a water leak into the boot area won't help matters. Even normal humidity can start off the process of corrosion and dry joints.

Customer:

Ross thanks for that I do have a dinky soldering iron and small heat shunts so will give that a go - failing that i think it will have to have the diagnostic treatment.

Ross :

I have great success with re-soldering so hopefully that will cure the problem for you. I hope I have answered your question, please feel free to ask if you need further advice, otherwise a positive rating is much appreciated, thanks, Ross.

Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician