Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Nissan Terrano airbag warning light constantly flashing "on".Has

Nissan Terrano airbag warning light constantly flashing "on".Has been like this 12mnths since being re-set on computer (at substantial cost) when last MOT'd.
Any (low cost) ideas??
Regards,Bill.
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

No low cost ideas with this one i'm afraid Bill.

When the light comes "ON" and flashes then there is a problem within the airbag system as you know, but to know what the problem is you need to have the Airbag system hooked up and codes read so you know what has malfunctioned and what has to be replaced or repaired , as long as the problem is not rectified then the light is not going to go off and stay off ,
Now as you know with the new MOT laws the airbag light has to be off and when they hook up to the diagnostic scan tool at the MOT station it has to read ready/active .no way to bypass the check airbag light
this will be seen by the scan tool at the MOT station.

BUT???.

Try this first .

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

If the system is working correctly then the light will stay off , in some cases your light may be flashing due to a bad battery connection
loss of power to the system etc ..

Need further assistance then please get back to me if needed.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Greg.Have only just had chance to try the ign key on/off method but no success.All battery conns seem ok.

Last yrs MOT they only plugged in the tester and it reset without them actually finding any problem or doing anything to it.It was OK for 2-3days then started flashing again! seems strange to me.Any more ideas? if not I'll just have to bite the bullet and wait for their bill!

Bill

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bill.

If the reset did not work then have a scan tool hooked read codes then reset , BUT if the light comes back on then give me the code to check what your problem is .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Greg

Thanks for the reply.

Will be tomorrow [weds]before I can arrange for codes to be read and re-set.Will let you know soonest how it goes.

Thanks again for your attention.

Bill

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bill ..

Please keep me updated so i can assist you .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Greg

Problem resolved.Had to have car hooked to diagnostic comp.This showed no codes but apparently there was a "historic" indication of "short to air-bag".This now re-set and seems hunky-dory.

Have now been able to re-new MOT cert.

Many thanks for your attention.

(am now rating your service-'excellent' and hope you soon get paid by whoever holds the cash! )

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bill .

Thank you very much and good work .

Need anything in the future then please get back to me .

Kindest regards Greg.

Greg(Indy-Tech)
Greg, Technician
Experience: Automotive diagnostic tech