How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robert Your Own Question
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 4571
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
Type Your Car Question Here...
Robert is online now

My Clutch has failed and the pedal is flat to the floor, I

Resolved Question:

My Clutch has failed and the pedal is flat to the floor, I have had no problems until now and the car only has 39,500 on it sclock. I'm try to locate the master / slave cylinder. Can you help?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.



Hopefully i can help..


Which model / engine / year of Hyundai do you have?


Had you noticed any fluid leaking out from under the car or up within the drivers footwell,clutch pedal area?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, hadn't noticed fluid on floor, but had signs of fluid on the piston rod behind


Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..


Ok..If you have indeed found fluid around the clutch master cylinder push rod that connects to the clutch pedal..fluid will be seen leaking out the rubber seal the rod enters towards the master cylinder then the problem in regards XXXXX XXXXX of clutch pedal resistance will be down that being at need to fully confirm fluid is seen leaking from that usually brake fluid as they share the same fluid type and depending on model the same reservior as you brake fluid does..but as long as fluid is seen leaking from around the gearbox - then the clutch master cylinder as you have described with what you've seen then that will need replaced and should solve your issue once the system has been fully re-bled..I do hope this helps

Robert and other Car Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would you know what cost i am looking at for a replacement?

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.



Difficult to say really to given you dont mention the model nor year of the car -as an approx as thats about all i can give you..based on that most garages across the uk tend to rate differently labor wise per hour and too depending on the model you have/year etc..Most clutch masters usually range in the £40-£50 mark..overall maybe in the £150-£200 advice would be to fully confirm that is where the leask from then make calls around local reputable garages on exact quotes inc vat etc..or better still you could try any good local mobile techs who maybe able to come out the car instead.something to maybe keep in mind seeing as the car is undrivable..I do hope this helps