Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Hi, Ive got a mark 1 Octavia petrol VRS 04 plate with approx.

Hi, I've got a mark 1 Octavia petrol VRS 04 plate with approx. 62000 miles on the clock and had a routine major service 2 months ago at Halfords. (Also cambelt changed a few years ago). A couple of weeks ago have started noticing when changing gear and accelerating, the engine revs and the rev counter overshoots and a lack of pick up speed and unsmooth poor acceleration occurs as a result. Could this be a clutch problem, accelerator problem, loose sparkplugs, or a sign of turbo lag and failure or something else?
Michael D
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

If you think the engine is appearing to rev up but there is little acceleration then that would suggest a problem with the clutch.

Customer:

Hi Mark, thanks - if this is the case, typically how much would it cost in total at a non skoda garage to replace? And is the clutch failure due to daily heavy urban/town driving?

Mark :

Towing daily could certainly take its toll on a clutch.

Mark :

Costs can vary from region to region depending on local labour rates.

Mark :

Typical time for the clutch is about 3.5 hours

Mark :

Price of parts can vary from different suppliers.

Mark :

In my area you are probably looking at around £5 - 600

Customer:

ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX in the east midlands,don't know if it would be cheaper than £5/600 at a garage in derby or Nottingham?

Mark :

I wouldn't think it would be much cheaper.

Customer:

And as its a sports model, would a skoda approved clutch be needed or any generic clutch would do?

Mark :

If you are towing a lot then a better quality clutch is best.

Mark :

Do you need to know anything else today?

Customer:

No, thanks Mark, you've been very helpful - what do I do now to end the conversation and the website generates your payment and rating?

Mark :

You just need to give me a positive rating. Thanks.

Customer:

Oh yes, just spotted the smiley face icons below the chat window - positive rating to follow - thanks again and all the best.

Mark :

Great.

Mark :

You have a good day.