Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

02 avensis verso d4d trouble code p1250 loss of power turn

02 avensis verso d4d trouble code p1250 loss of power turn of key off leave for a few minutes and away again have replaced;; egr valve';; airflow meter.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I am still waiting for an answere. I did email twice to make sure I was going to get an answere, as it is now 3 days since I posted to question.

Liam

Hello Liam,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

P1250 = Turbocharger System Malfunction,

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues
Also have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running

Also check that the vacuum hose running to the dump / turbo bypass valve is intact with no leaks as if the dump valve is opening prematurely you'll be losing all your boost

If this is OK then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

one other possibility is that the wastegate actuator spring has gone soft so allowing the wastegate to open prematurely - if your actuator has a threaded end you can increase the preload on it to see if this improves things otherwise these units are quite cheap compared to a new turbo so it may be worth trying a replacement

If this is OK then check for air leaks after the mass airflow meter - The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. Have tried all that. Trouble code P1250 is still coing up on the machine after driving 15 miles. Turned off key and turned it on again, code goes out and drives fine again.

I'm looking for more information for this code please if possible ASAP.

Thanks a million.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

well the other possibility is either the turbo is faulty and down on boost - which can be confirmed by connecting a boost gauge and measuring what boost is there on full load

or it could be a faulty boost pressure ( MAP) sensor
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years