Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

My car was in the garage today to have a wedding done to the

Customer Question

My car was in the garage today to have a wedding done to the exhaust picked the car up and the emission light is staying on will it be safe to drive 80 mile tomorrow
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hopefully i can help..

Which exhaust section was welded?

Was this an issue before the work was carried out?

How does the engine perform at the moment since this fault occurred?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The at the silent er the middle part at the neck

The car runs ok from the garage it about 5 miles to the house

The light was not on untill I got it back from the garage

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi it was the middle part at the silence r I put the car into the garage to have the top part renewed the chap said he need to weld a bit at the middle this light was not on before and drove it 4 miles home and the light was on the garage was closed by the time I got home and as I am having to drive 80 miles today if the car is ok to drive

My email address is my wifes as I don't have a pc it [email protected] thank you

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there sorry for the delay.. need to be sure they havent damaged the lamdba probes that fit to the exhaust..wiring..usually when an emissions lamp warning does appear it mean the ecu has detected an emission fault via the exhaust will be generally ok to drive it ....the sooner you get it back to be checked out, the better.... but its probably just warning of a faulty sensor or similar..The diagnostic test is whats needed to find out why the light is on and the garage will have to do that for long as the engine doesnt have any missfiring or performance issues it will be fine..however as long as you do have somesort of breakdown cover to back you up in the event the car "may" go into the limp mode..then least you wont be stranded as they thing to do is to take it easy during the journey and as soon as possible get it checked out..even if it means going over the exhaust system again for any small leaks..i do hope this helps..apologies for the delay

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank for your answer but needed to leave early the morning I will take my car back to the garage tomorrow

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi..there no problem..If you need anything else or need to ask anything then just continue..Please dont forget to rate my assistance most appreciated..regards Robert