Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Astra H 1.4 ecotec Manual Just put the engine back together

Customer Question

Astra H 1.4 ecotec Manual Just put the engine back together head sump and chain case off for fault on no 2 piston plug electrode fell off and squashed the compression rings. Filled with oil and turned the key to get the oil flowing prior to first start all I get is a click from the starter relay. Double checked every thing cant see where I have gone wrong! Gone back underneath with a screwdriver shorted the wires at the starter and it turns over well. Any ideas ? must be something I have done.

my e mail is  [email protected]

Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

Mark :

Am I right in saying that the engine does not turn over when using the key but it does turn over when you short over the starter motor connections?

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

Yes

Mark :

Does the engine start when you short over the starter motor?

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

Don't know I only wanted to get the oil circulating before attempting a start, coil pack disconnected, no water.

Mark :

If you try start it and it starts then it would suggest a problem with the ignition switch or relay or wiring in between.

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

tried to start but no go also checked fuel at rail there is none.I am charging the battery as I flatend it

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

Then I am going to check the multi plugs on the ECU in case there is a problem I've caused there, (they are a pig to get to)

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

no joy with the multi plugs all pins ok and plugs fit properly. However I have noticed when ign is switched on the relay in position k12 under the bonnet is humming away to itself

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

also I can no longer access the ecu through the OBD socket when I first got the car I could. Look forward to your comments Dave

Mark :

Does the engine management light come on with ignition?

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

Yes stays on for a few seconds then goes out.

Mark :

Good, that's what it's supposed to do.

Mark :

Are you able to try another scan tool to see if it can connect?

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

Tried another tool can not get in.

Mark :

Have you checked the earth connections for the engine injection harness?

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

I removed 3 banjo earth wires at the rear of the engine between the block & the battery on a steel bracket. all 3 were replaced, one however came from the harness out of a T piece & had what seemed to be a shake proof connection the wire was black an I connected it to the earth bracket. This was the only connection I was not quite happy with since I had to widen the hole with a screwdriver before it would fit the 10 m earth fixing. ( going to recheck)

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

everything seems ok & no loose wires.

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

There is a light on the dash witch I thought was a service light a car with a spanner on it looked it up and it is for engine electronics!

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

Hold everything.... The black earth wire that I connected with the others should have gone to the ECU engine now starts & runs with a screwdriver @ the solenoid, but will still not start with the key. Management & electronics lights on when ign is turned on and do not go out till engine starts. engine seems to run ok but I have not put water I yet.

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

Filled with water up to temperature still wont start with key.

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

I need to know exactly witch relay is the starter relay I need a quick answer please

JACUSTOMER-jzy8mwp9- :

Too late I've fixed it your attention to customers leaves much to be desired.