sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

hi have 1.6 tdci focus with light on codes p0490 egr control

Customer Question

hi have 1.6 tdci focus with light on codes
p0490 egr control circuit high
p2002 dpf below threshold
have changed egr valve and reset values
light come back on after few miles dpf code logged no light when egr code logged light comes on any one come across problem before
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.

The code P2002 is the DPF efficiency below threshold, this may be due to a blocked DPF or split DPF sensor pipes. The DPF may have blocked due to the EGR valve fault, if the EGR system isn't working correctly and this is detected by the PCM then the conditions for a DPF regeneration aren't met and the filter will become blocked.

Start with checking the DPF pressure sensor pipes as it's common for the heat to cause these to split, check the EGR operation, once you are confident the EGR is correct (hopefully the new valve has cured this) and the DPF sensor read correctly then a static regeneration needs to be attempted to clear the DPF code. Without the DPF regenerating successfully the P2002 code won't clear. To carry out a static regeneration requires a suitable diagnostic tool such as Ford IDS as the DPF code comes back so quickly it's unlikely the DPF will not regenerate dynamically while driving the car.

A 2009 Focus can be either a coated or non coated DPF (they changed around this year) , if it is a non coated DPF where there is a fuel additive tank and usually a magnet on the fuel filler flap then the DPF is a scheduled replacement item at 75000 miles.

I hope this helps but if I can assist further or if you have more questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.