Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

my c240 auto will sometimes not change up to fourth gear in

Customer Question

my c240 auto will sometimes not change up to fourth gear in general the gear box works fine
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

still have the same problem ,do your experts have any ideas

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you..

I note you say the trans fluid is "ok"... I take it that its at the correct level and looks ok with its colour etc -

Do you get any warning / fault lights come on at all when this happens?

What mileage does the car have?

Rgds, MIKE............................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike oil ok, no warning lights or sounds gear box works fine but on occasions it won't drop into fourth. Millage is 160,000. Is it worth changing the oil completely. regards mike

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again..

Thank you for your reply.

First to explain the delay - Im afraid your post timed out, so I lost track of it for a time... I can only apologise, thats just how the system works ... So Im sorry about that.

As regards the problems you have, yes certainly changing the fluid would be a good move for sure... but note the condition of the old fluid first as that can give you clues... If the fluid is low, that can be enough to cause this...if its really black and / or smells "bad"... thats an indication of troubles internally in the trans... so bear that in mind.

At that mileage, I really would suggest to have an Auto Trans specialist have a look for you - I say that because they have all the equipment / toolery and knowledge to do this for you - Most garages inc dealer will send such issues to these people for those very reasons- If its found to be an internal fault ( ie, solenoid fault or such ) they can very often carry out a cost effective repair / rather than expensively changing the whole thing ( which a lot of other garages do! )..

They will also check its command system - it could be as simple as a wiring or sensor fault - such as the range sensor etc...

So thats what I recommend for sure on this one now.. and then go from there.. That will either way, save you a lot of money...and get it sorted for you. Let me know how you get on.

Let me know if you need anything else at all --

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.