Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My sons Seat Ibiza starts but cuts out almost immediately

Customer Question

My son's Seat Ibiza starts but cuts out almost immediately and even quicker if you depress the accelerator , oil level seems ok, water level seems ok
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injectors and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.