Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

hello, my 1989 xj 40 refuses to run.If I disconnect fuel line

Customer Question

hello, my 1989 xj 40 refuses to run.If I disconnect fuel line and turn on ignition then I get a 4 second blast of fuel and if I put petrol into plug holes then the engine fires up and then dies and then just turns over.i first put on new distributor cap and rotor and spark plugs and tested for spark at plugs which were ok. I tried another pump relay and still no joy.When the engine spins with fuel raii disconnected there is plenty of fuel coming through so I think the pump is ok
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that the ECU isn't opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.
If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello matt. have fitted new crankcase sender this morning and have fitted another ecu of a runner from local scrap yard as these were on my list of things to try this weekend.Waiting now for mate to bring volt tester if he can get hold of one today.Could not hear injectors click with either ecu and the ecu from scrap car I heard it run before removing it

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello bob

Ok if just swopping parts in hasn't helped then next job is to test for 12V as I mentioned above

a cheap multimeter from walmart will do the job here