Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2011 Mitsubishi asx. There is a problem with an oil

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Mitsubishi asx. There is a problem with an oil warning light.
The orange oil can symbol and a warning "check engine oil level"
I have had the car checked and the oil level is good and the car runs well.
How do I get rid of the warning light.
Tommy
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd 1st suggest measuring the actual oil pressure with seperate mechanical gauge - this can be plumbed into the engine via the current pressure switch port - if you use a Tee piece you can keep the pressure switch plumbed in as well and so see if the low pressure light corresponds to a low pressure reading.

As its intermittant and you have no rumbling or rattling noises from the engine its likely to be an electrical fault so 1st check the connection to the pressure switch is bright and clean and check back along the switch wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation

As if the wire is grounded out at any point then this will also turn on the light.

If you do have a low pressure reading ( should be 4 bar (59psi) at 2000rpm) and to turn on the light it will be very low about 5psi then replace the oil pump and ensure that the pump pickup in the sump hasn't come loose or is blocked
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt,

sorry for not getting back sooner, I have been at work today.

I agree with you that it must be an electrical problem as the warning is for oil level and not pressure. there are no noises from the car and it's performance is still good. The car is 3 years old and only has 19,000 miles so it is hardly even run-in.

It is not an intermitting problem as the light is permanently on.

everything you have suggested has already been tried or has now been tried.

I have asked my local garage to purchase a replacement sensor so I can eliminate the unit itself.

I was hoping it was down to a service light that could be reset on the cars computer, but it doesn't even show up on diagnostics.

I will let you know how I get on with replacing the sensor.

Thanks for now.

Tommy

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Tommy

understood

just get back to me on this post