Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Hyundai Matrix which is 5 years old at the end of

I have a Hyundai Matrix which is 5 years old at the end of this month. I am a lady driver and the car has done nearly 45,000 miles mainly on longer journeys and only driven by me. It has been serviced every year since new.

I went last week to a Hyundai Dealership to make an appointment for a 60 month service and without looking at the car they said that the Cambelt had to be changed. My previous Hyundai Garage have closed down near home so I am forced to travel some 30+ miles to a new Hyundai garage.

Are the new garage right in saying that the cambelt now has to be changed? If it has to be changed am I covered by the 5 year guarantee which is still in force? Please advise.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

They are correct im afraid - the timing belt replacement schedule is every or nearing 50,000miles or 60months which ever comes first..It is vital that it is changed as failure of the belt would be more costly as far as damage to the engine goes.Its would also inc the Auxillary belt to be changed too.Cambelts would be a wear and tear,maintenance items item so unlikely to be covered..I do hope this helps