Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

xj8 sport 2001. i was told by a mechanic not to leave this

Customer Question

xj8 sport 2001. i was told by a mechanic not to leave this model standing for long as the oil used is so thin it drains from the head and the engine will loose compression. i had to leave the car standing for two months and it seems there is now little or no compression. how do i repair this.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - I'm happy to help / advise you with this.

The situation you describe is true of any engine with hydraulic valve lifters / tappets.. they rely on the oil being in them to operate the valves in the head properly - so that you retain good compressions etc..

So if you have that situation, they can take a lot of "winding" to get the engine started.

A tip - if the car is a manual transmission - you can tow it.. and this is best as it relives stress from the starter motor etc - tow the vehicle in 3rd gear on a good long road - until it starts. If your road is not so good, use 2nd - until it starts.

If its an auto, you cant tow it and will have to keep working on starting it with the key / starter motor.

In doing this - you should only crank it for several seconds at a time - rest the starter motor - and then continue until it starts.

As the hydraulic tappets fill with oil , the engine will begin to fire up - and will fire eventually. As above - it will start and run rough - don't be tempted to rev it - let it "fill" the tappets at its own pace - it will smooth out and run fine.

A tip would be to first, take all the plugs out - check their condition -if they are old or you don't know their age - renew them. That will give it a better chance too for starting sooner rather than later.

The other thing is - you need the battery to be in top condition for this... so be sure of that - or connect a new one / or a battery / engine starter / charger if you can get hold of one.. otherwise, you may have to resort to charging the battery as you go.

One other thought too - check the oil condition and level.

If the oil is old / black and horrible - it would be best to renew it... though its best renewed when the engine has been warmed.

Working as above , one way or the other, you will get it started if the issue as you have stated.

Let me know if you need anything else -

>>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.