sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

My 2006 X type 2.0 diesel stopped suddenly without power.

My 2006 X type 2.0 diesel stopped suddenly without power. The AA diagnosed a fault with the high pressure fuel pump. Jaguar specialist diagnoses fault with the turbocharger which he says is 'sticking' and faulty injectors. He has quoted £2800 to carry out repairs. Is he winding me up? Does his diagnosis sound feasible. If he is correct, I could source the parts for about £700 and although I am a reasonably competent home mechanic, I have never worked on a diesel engine let alon high pressure fuel systems. How hard can it be?
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

You say the car stopped suddenly without power, did the engine cut out altogether? Or did the engine just lose power and the car not go above 60 MPH, 3000 RPM?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply

The engine lost power for about a second and then stopped altogether which was embarrassing at 60 mph. When the AA mechanic tried to restart the engine to complete his diagnostics check, it fired immediately and, as he could find no reason to the contrary, I was able to drive home quite normally. The car seemed to run OK but is a bit smokey and is using more diesel than it used to. I have also noticed a very lumpy pickup from low revs when cold.

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
from the description you've given this is more likely to be an injector fault rather than the turbo. A failing injector will cause poor running and smoke but also if the fuel pressure drops too far outside the preset parameters the engine management will cut the fuel altogether, this would explain the engine cutting out but then restarting.
If there are any doubts about all the injectors then make sure the fuel hasn't been contaminated due to a pump failure, this is the most common cause if more than 1 injector fails at the same time.
Any replacement injector needs to be coded to the engine management using suitable diagnostic equipment but it doesn't have to be by a main dealer.
I hope this helps but if you have more questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.