Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

my wife has a Mercedes GL class. when I open the drivers door

Customer Question

my wife has a Mercedes GL class. when I open the driver's door the dash read out says "vehicle not in position P " however the auto gear lever shows the vehicle is in P but when I start it the gear lever wont move from position P and the read out then says "drive to nearest workshop without changing gear " which I cant do as it wont go into D !

Please can you help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you.

As you say - you can hardy "drive to workshop" with that issue ...

You have done the right thing in doing as you have per your tip as sometimes its a bad connection. To explain - when you select Park, it activates an electronic switch to "tell the system" its in park. Now - the usual cause of the fault you have therefore , is a failed Park switch.

But - it could also be the BPP - the brake pedal switch. As you know you have to press the brake to move the lever - this is the same idea as above - so you could have a faulty switch there.

The difficulty you have here then at present is just which is it - or is it a wire fault etc... usually its one of those as above - but you will have to have it checked Im sorry to say. You cannot be changing parts with fingers crossed as that gets expensive..let alone frustrating. So you will need to either have someone out to test it - ie, a mobile mechanic or other...or have it recovered for test/ repair.

To be honest its quickly tested - its just a plug in test with appropriate equipment and that will tell where the fault is quickly and efficiently - so you need to get that organized to get this sorted now.

Im really sorry I cannot give you a fix here and now - but thats the way to get to the bottom of this / get it fixed for you .. Let me know how you get on.

Let me know if you need anything else -

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.