Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Droaning noise from the engine when I rev up on my traffic

Droaning noise from the engine when I rev up on my traffic van two litre diesel
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd 1st check the state of the auxilary drive belts on the end of the engine

and cracks in the rubber or missing ribs can then make the belt noisy

also check the pulley grooves for any stones or debris

also try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired

If the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue

Also check for exhaust leaks

The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers