Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Hi I own skoda superb dsg diesel 45.000 miles. I have leak

I own skoda superb dsg diesel
45.000 miles. I have leak coming front the gearbox that appears to be at the front of the engine I'm told it may be a seal in the gearbox
That needs replacing if you have any ideas it would be appreciated ..thanks john
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome John -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you...

Given the issue you have - if the oil is coming out of the front of the gearbox - where it abuts the engine - then its either gearbox oil or engine oil.. you have to determine which - but that's usually easy to tell - just to touch / smell- you can tell the difference between engine / gear oil.

Then - deoending on the result - its then either the rear crank seal on the engine ( engine oil loss ) or, the front, main / first motion shaft oil seal on the gearbox.

Either job requires the removal of the transmission to do.

So it will definitely be one or the other with what you have described - so the next step then is to ID the oil / whioch it is.

Of course, one could just go ahead - especially if for some reason one cannot tell which oil it is - If the job has to be done, then as above - the transmission has to come off anyway - Once off - it will be apparent / quite obvious which seal its coming from - and then it can be dealt with from there.

I don't have enough vehicle detail to tell you part numbers. I would need the vehicles' VIN - but to be honest, while Im happy to do that for you - when you come to seeing exactly which seal you need - you will need to get this from a Skoda dealer parts dept anyway ( VW / Audi ).. so you may as well just give the VIN to them at the time as you order the part. If they don't stock it, they can get them overnight... So that as above is the way forward on this now John.

Let me know if you need anything else at all - If you do reply / need anything more, I will be back on shift later this eve - If you reply, I will get back to you then.

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your prompt reply

The chassis numbr tmbbe73t7b9055598

Is it just one seal or is their more

Its gearbox oil. Part number would

Be appreciated if possible

Would u recommend doing

Crank oil seal while gearbox is out

Thanks in advance john

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again John -

Thank you for your reply. I have spent a lot of time apologising to customers today John for the delay in getting back to people - Im afraid I had system issues and just could not get back to anyone at all - so - I apologise to you for that also.

If its definitely gear oil, then the seal in question has to be done with the gearbox out.

If there are any signs of wet coming from behind the flywheel - then yes, do the crank seal while the transmission is out - If not - if its perfectly dry there, there is no need to do that.

Now Im trying to find the part number for you John -I will have to get back to you on that as its being troublesome.. ( story of my life of late ! ) - but I will continue with it for you -- and will get back to you. Given the time it is now John, It may have to be tomorrow now but I will get back to you one way or the other on that..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert