Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

hi i own a range rover supercharged on a 55 plate, i have owned

Customer Question

hi i own a range rover supercharged on a 55 plate, i have owned the car for two years.
i took the car to a garage near me for a service, i went on holiday came back and the car never started after i picked it up. Anyway the garage said that the timing chain had slipped of a caused damaged in side the engine while it was in there hands. i then had to pay a sum of around £3000 to get the engine rebuilt.

i never had a problem with the car till i took it to the garage.
I finally got my car back and since then it has been back a forward to the garage about four times , because the engine has failed. i got a three month warranty with the engine rebuild, i've had the car back eight weeks, inclueding the time its been in and out of the garage, two days ago the the car started making another terrible noise, i don't no much about cars so i took the car back once again, The garage rung me up and said the camshaft had failed again and its under warranty and will be fixed. today they ring me up and say the camshaft had failed due to lack of oil in the engine, they was still oil on the dip stick and no oil light on the car, i assume that a car of that technoligy a warning light would appear to warn you of the low oil. i feel the garage are taking my lack of knowledge of cars to take my money
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

Mark :

I would say you have been very poorly treated by this garage.

Mark :

I would also like to give you some things to consider saying to the garage about your problem.

Mark :

From the sounds of it, I would guess you haven't done a lot of miles since the initial repair was done.

Mark :

This would mean after the engine rebuild you would expect the garage to have set the oil level correctly.

Mark :

If they are now saying a lack of oil caused the new fault then either the rebuild was faulty or the engine has a severe oil leak.

Mark :

Have you noticed any oil on your driveway or on the road where you park?

Mark :

I would also suggest you involve your local trading standards office or send the garage a lawyers letter stating you want your money back or the engine repaired.