Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Hi got a ford focus cmax 1.6 here the power steering is very

Customer Question

Hi got a ford focus cmax 1.6 here the power steering is very heavy on idle but if i increase the revs to 1500 it then works fine. Inside the power steering bottle the fluid is very black any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

Mark :

If the fluid is black then it is a sign that it is contaminated.

Mark :

The contamination could have been by someone accidently topping up with the wrong oil or by excessive wear somewhere in the system.

Mark :

Either way, it probably means you will have to replace the entire steering system as flushing it out will probably not be enough and most likely secondary damage has occurred.

Customer : Replace pump?
Mark :

You may need to replace the steering rack and the pump and rinse out the pipework depending on how bad the contamination is and if it has caused damage to seals in the system.