Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

i have just put tractor oil or is it hydraulic oil in my car

Customer Question

i have just put tractor oil or is it hydraulic oil in my car by mistake now it wont even turn over. i put it in last night drove about 6 miles then this morning it wont turn over at all.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

Mark :

How much of this oil did you put in?

JACUSTOMER-aa11t9wk- :

im not sure maybe about 4/5 pints.

Mark :

The first thing you need to do is replace the oil and oil filter and then see if you can turn the engine over by hand.

JACUSTOMER-aa11t9wk- :

i was told that because i had driven the car after i put the oil in that the engine will likely cease as the oil will be all through it.Is this likely to be the case, if so what else can i do, is there any thing i can put in the engine to maybe thin the oil down or even clean the engine out.

Mark :

Try removing the drain plug first and see how much of the oil comes out. If it isn't very much then you may have to remove the sump pan to get it out.