Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I want to change the thermostat on my Mitsubishi L200....06

I want to change the thermostat on my Mitsubishi L200....06 new shape....Can you tell me where to find the thermostat before I start pulling everything apart??
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

As per your question the thermostat is located on the water pump housing..if you look down the left hand side of the engine and locate the large coolant hose from the radiator follow that back towards the engine you see it connected to a housing as per in the example picture below for the 2.5DID engine the thermostat is within there..you will need as per picture new gasket once you cleaned up both mating surfaces..I do hope this helps further..if you need to ask anything else then just continue on the same question if need be..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yep changed the thermostat...Engine still overheating...Clear exhaust fumes...Looks like the head gasket may have gone...

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for getting back..

It fairly possible thats what you maybe looking at,depending how its gone usually its loss of coolant aswell as steamfrom the exhaust..if you can maybe see if you can get a compression test done on the engine.if all else has been checked including for blockages as per radiator etc..then it does only leave headgasket or possibility that the water pump impellar could be spinning,loose on its shaft..and not able to circulate the coolant around..that could be one other theory..best way to check that is to run the engine and pressure test the system and see if the pump is indeed working..I do hope this helps