Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

About 40 miles into a journey yesterday, my car started sputtering

About 40 miles into a journey yesterday, my car started sputtering when accelerating: fine until then; runs smoothly when accelerator not pushed. As it happens, the timing after 40 miles is about the time that the most recently purchased fuel took over from the last batch. Could there be something wrong with the fuel? Or is there a mechanical problem? I have a Vauxhall Corsa 1.4, from 2012.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

it could be polluted fuel but its worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine
If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injectors and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.