Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

My 1.2 petrol Suzuki Swift has an idle rpm of 625 when warm,

My 1.2 petrol Suzuki Swift has an idle rpm of 625 when warm, which means at walking speed in slow moving traffic on the level it is liable to stall unless the revs are increased.

All previous petrol cars I have driven have not required any rpm increase in this situation, so the question I have is whether this is the correct idle speed, and if it is can it be increased relatively simply?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

Your idle speed is on the low side of normal but it isn't that far out to be a real problem.

Mark :

The specs say it should be between 650 and 750 rpm.

Mark :

You would need to have the rpm checked using a scan tool or oscilloscope to accurately measure the engine speed as the rev counter is not that accurate.

Mark :

The engine speed cannot be adjusted as it is under computer control.

Mark :

You could try things such as cleaning the throttle body and checking any links etc to see if they are causing a problem but actually adjusting the idle speed is not possible.

Mark :

I would say that most likely you do not have a fault with the system.

Mark :

In effect you have an engine that is turning once less every two seconds than the specs allow.