Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I took my timing belt of my 1.5 renult kangoo without aligning

Customer Question

I took my timing belt of my 1.5 renult kangoo without aligning the timing marks properly, how will I be able to aline it properly without taking engine apart manythanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

this procedure should help

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lined everything up,cranked over by hand spot on with all the timming marks . started her up she seems to be laging , took belt bk of turned the pump clockwise one tooth, started her bk up shes knockin and running poor, and noticed my belts trying to come off i havent over tightened our under tighten , because marks on tensioner are pretty straight forward , belts the same, someone said to me the crank is seized any ideas

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Matt

if the crank was seized then you would have all sorts of knocking noises and possibly low oil pressure so I wouldn't assume thats the problem

the belts will wander back and forth on the pulleys a little, thats normal

but if the edges of the belt are off the ends of a pulley or two then its possible that something isn't running true and square or the belt is damaged

If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.