Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have had three Clutch burn-outs on my 2012

I have had three Clutch burn-outs on my 2012 Subaru Forester. On my first burn-out the mechanic told me that there was a weakness in Subaru Forester Clutches. My later experience prove that point. Do you agree Subarus have a clutch fault? Yours Colin XXXXXX

Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Colin,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will wait until the end of today. If I do not receive a reply from you, please refund my money immediately afterwards.

I am very displeased by the time taken to get an answer and have received no information so far

C.B.XXXXX

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

After the first clutch was replaced, how long did it take for the 2nd clutch to burn out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear XXXXX. First Clutch went at 14,576 miles and second at 31, 953.

My third clutch went at 51,271.

This is an appalling record which I think Subaru should acknowledge but your advice might show that many Subaru Foresters have had this problem

Colin XXXXXX

Yes unfortantly this is a common failure of the forester, I am also a warranty inspector and i have inspected this issue on these vehicles many times. There is a defect in the clutch itself and it is made to flimsy which is why it does not last long. Subaru has not decided to make any improvement to the clutch so each time the clutch is replaced it is replaced with the same part, there is not much you can do other than keep replacing the clutch or get rid of the vehicle I'm sad to say, as there is only one part that is offered for the clutch.
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.