Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

hello, have a 2003 kangoo 1.5 diesel van. New battery, glow

Customer Question

hello, have a 2003 kangoo 1.5 diesel van. New battery, glow plugs, filters and oil. Cut out on the M1 as if it was running out of fuel, but re started after a few minutes rest. After the occasional stutter ( again like lack of fuel ) it did it again 20mins later. now is more of a struggle to start, stutters on occasion round town but has not cut out. SERV and Airbag lights on constant and seems very flat. Did have an occasion recently where wouldn't start at all then i used small hand pump "thingy" to remove air in fuel lines around fuel filter and it started. Not seen air there since. Beginning to worry i've bought a dog. TIA
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

OK if you've got the service and airbag lights on its quite possible that the engine is in limp home so I'd suggest getting a diagnostic check done
if this shpws no faults then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the
vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.