Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

57 plate 318D - engine noise

I have a 57 plate 318D (106,000 miles). I bought it at 6 months old (1,600 miles). It has been driven carefully, mainly on motorways, and has been regularly serviced. Eight months ago (94,000 miles) the timing chain broke which cost £3,500 to repair. This included a new crankshaft. Recently I have noticed a rough / rasping noise when driving in the lower gears (1st – 3rd). It sounds as though the exhaust is blowing but it is not). It is more noticeable when the engine is cold. In the higher gears (4th – 6th) the noise disappears. My local dealer has looked at the car and agrees that there is something wrong but does not know what it is. He has speculated that it could the crankshaft (which is still under warranty) or the flywheel. Any ideas? (I have also noticed that I sometimes hear a low pitched rumbling noise which seems to be independent of the engine speed, but dependant on the road wheel speed. I think that this is unrelated and could be a wheel bearing but I am not sure).

Attachment: 2014-05-17_085835_57_plate_318d.docx

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

Are there any type of warning lights coming on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, the only symptom of anything wrong is the noise when accelerating in 1 – 3 gear. In 4 – 6 it sounds fine. I generally change gear when prompted by the display which occurs at 2000 revs.

When the engine was rebuilt BMW apparently supplied £3,500 worth of parts FOC as a goodwill gesture. The only part listed on the invoice was the crankshaft. The £3,500 I paid was just for labour. I think I will ask BMW for a full list of parts fitted.

The BMW dealer has suggested that I leave the car with them for 3 days while they investigate further. They have agreed that if the fault is covered by the warranty, there will no charge otherwise there will be a charge. They mentioned that it could be the flywheel which would cost £1,600 to replace.

I have looked on the internet to see if there are any other major issues regarding major BMW faults but cannot find anything, (unlike the timing chain problem which has extensive coverage).

Ok, the issue that you are having and the way that this noise happens is consistent with a cracked or failing flywheel. I am also a warranty inspector and I have inspected this issue often, with the flywheel installed and with the flywheel removed. This is going to need to be checked as a next step.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I presume that the car has a dual mass flywheel

Yes that is correct and they are very problematic.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK many thanks for your help

No problem,thank you.